Friday, November 18, 2011

The way I see it....

Here's to impulse buying.
  Which is not new to me.  But then again, it can't really be impulse buying if the thought of the purchase wasn't completely new, can it?


  For years I've wanted a digital SLR. Sometime ago, I told a great friend that I didn't see what the point was because my pictures couldn't even compare. And the friend said, "Your pictures are your view. The way you see it. So keep taking your pictures" This was a wise friend.

  Though I know I have a long way before I learn to photograph what I'm seeing. Or how I see something. Wait, is that the same thing? Anyway.

  Give me a camera. I've long been berated about missing the moment. I get it. I know where you're coming from when you say that. But what I want to say is this. For me, when I stop to take a picture. It's because I stop to look. It's because I stop and see. I don't often stop. Well, not long enough anyway. Especially in recent years.

  Can you live a moment in a picture? A fleeting moment that you had in 'real' life and then forever commit to memory to be changed a little bit every time you remember it? I'm not saying that's a bad thing. And I know it's precisely because it's just a moment, you find yourself at the point where you either choose to live it or try and capture it. Don't we all try, just a little bit, to make the moment last? Haven't you wondered if you'd remember it just as it was. Stand looking down at Machu Pichu and take in the view of the mist swirling in and out of the ruins. Take it in. Live it. But don't tell me you're not even the slightest bit motivated to try and capture that. Because you don't walk past something like that every day. And what about the things you do pass every day and not 'see'? When you want to take a picture to point something out. The irony of a moment. That 'everyday moment' you might just drive past.  And not even see. Like when I drive back from work and see a bench on the sidewalk, with the words painted 'Baltimore, the greatest city in America'.  I see it every day. And often there's one of Baltimore's more destitute denizens, having a smoke while leaning on those boastful words.

 So now I have a 'real' camera. And no idea where to start. I don't like reading manuals. Hate it in fact. But I will, this time. Since I want to learn how to do this properly. Because apart from having something to say, there's my way of seeing this world and this life that I want to show you.

 For now though, here's some plain messin' around ;)

My work space..that I love!








Pretty much my whole life right now :P

A call to live fiercely. Though I'd think to temper that with wisdom!





You gotta have one 'point and shoot' right :)??

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE your house! It's INCREDIBLE! Also, nice lights, seriously, that's just...very dream-like. Post more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on the new camera brother! Cool stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharan: Thanks! I really like the house when I walk in through the door. It's a bit of a commute from work and far from any place I can have a social life..so I'm wondering whether to shift. But I do like how it's shaped up and it always feels so good to be back home :)
    Joel: Thanks! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete